Saturday, May 15, 2010

Renovation Days 10 & 11

Sorry it has taken me so long to blog about the renovation today but I have found that since school starts tomorrow (Sun 5/16), I am a bit more reluctant to spend all of my time behind my monitor. 

FYI – John said at the beginning of this renovation that all of this work was going to be done in 3 weeks plus touch up.  I told that to Carmen yesterday and he actually laughed at me.  Monday starts week 3 and he hasn’t put a single bit of color on any of the walls, still has drywalling to do, has another coat of paint on all of the trim and hasn’t even looked at the spindles of the stairway.  Unless John sends another couple of painters there is no way the contract will be done on time.

Thursday, May 13 – Day 10

I really wish that I had pictures to show you from day 10 but it ended up being an emotionally BAD day.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am an uber-control freak and I am really tired of having people in my house, tired of the constant noise, dirt, sawdust everywhere, having to manage people and feeling like I have to be home all the time.  Now, John has said that there is no reason for me to feel like I needed to be home and I really do like all of the subcontractors  Everyone who has come into my house has been super nice, very professional and I have no problem being alone with any of them, but I think it is the control thing. 

Anyway, Thursday I had had enough and decided to get out for a while.  I headed over to La Centerra and wandered around Kirklands looking for decorating inspiration, then I went to Mission Burrito and Toll House.  I really wanted chocolate chip cookies but with all of the sawdust and plaster dust in the house I just don’t want to cook anything before giving everything a very through clean.  They even had the table saw going in the livingroom without putting plastic back up so I have sawdust EVERYWHERE.

I got back and the fireplace was almost done, the trim was started and things looked a little better but not done.

Friday, May 14 – Day 11

Today was a better day, not because anything really changed but I slept later and better and was a whole lot better equip to handle it, plus I knew that Wayne was going to be coming home early and should be home when John showed up.  I actually woke up the first time at 7:30 and got up to unlock the door expecting to lay back down and get up when Carmen came in.  Instead of the door chimes, I got a phone call at 9:15 from Terry – something I needed which worked well in my favor.  That extra couple of hours definitely changed my outlook.  Carmen came in about 30 min later and got to work painting ceilings, caulking and keeping on.

Eli and Osley got to the house around 1, Wayne around 2 and John about 2:30.  Talk about good timing.  Of course I had to ask John to have the guys put the plastic back up in the kitchen (which the guys did but pushed it back out of the way, opening the kitchen to sawdust and making me wonder why they even bothered).  I said as much to Wayne and he is going to deal with it.  Also, when they started putting up the wall they cut the carpet, which they weren’t supposed to do (instead of cutting the laminate which they WERE supposed to do) and because of that we are going to have to replace the carpet 3 months earlier than we planned.  Now we are going to start hardwoods the day after the contractor leaves.  I am not sure whether to be angry about it or jumping up and down.

So, here is the progress:

Wayne looking down over the carpentry work and sticking his tongue out at me :)







All that is left for the wood is the stain!


Pony Wall:

IMG_3433 IMG_3434 IMG_3436 IMG_3435

Carmen is going to be working on the drywall for this wall on Monday so that Eli can come back and work on the columns.  I can’t wait to see what it ends up looking like when it is done. 

After the contractors left we headed over to Cherry and Norris’ house for the BESTEST, MOST YUMMIEST fish dinner ever.  Cherry made spicy Creole style rice, baked Tilapia and a creamy shrimp and crab sopping sauce that was the best with garlic bread.  Cherry, if you are reading this…it was SOOOOOOOOO good.

Me…with my best friends



No contractors!!  I got to sleep late!!   Wayne and I basically just chilled out, spent time planning the new floors, watching the Discovery Channel and watching it rain.  Ben didn’t seem to stay home longer than 45 minutes and I cooked for the first time in about a week.  Good Grief – it was a GREAT day.  Tomorrow Josh will be coming home for a while before he heads back up to Austin.  Not bad day…not bad at all.

Oh yeah…..before I go, look at what I made today:

Farmville-Obsession-a Farmville-Obsession-b


I have gotten my mojo back!  YIPPIE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment